Representing Victims of Injury & Wrongful Death
Attorney, Thomas J. Foley concentrates his practice of law in the areas of personal injury and wrongful death. As the firm’s principal civil trial attorney, Tom is most often on trial or preparing the firm’s next case for trial. Tom’s in-court trial experience has proved invaluable for Foley Griffin clients.
Tom’s clients have often suffered devastating injuries that have dramatically changed their lives. As a result, Tom and his staff are always mindful of the difficulties facing an injured person. Every aspect of a person’s life is changed by pain. Oftentimes the injury and the effects changes who the person is. Tom feels that the most important job as a personal injury attorney is to make sure that the clients are aware of every aspect of their case. He has even invested in case management software that provides the client with a direct portal to monitor their case. This type of access empowers the client and allows them to maintain involvement in the case. Tom and his staff regularly call or email all clients to keep an open line of communication. In addition, all cases are constantly being conferenced with the staff on a regular basis. Tom considers it an office failure if a client calls to check the status of a case. Tom is proactive on all aspects of the client’s case, especially communication.
Tom began his legal career as a prosecutor. He joined the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office located in Hempstead and Mineola, New York. At the District Attorneys office, Tom was initially responsible for handling misdemeanor crimes such as driving while intoxicated (DWI), assault, domestic violence and traffic offenses. After a short time, he was promoted to the County Court Trial Bureau. In the County Court, Tom was responsible for handling a wide range of felony offenses including felony DWIs, violent assaults, burglaries and robberies. At the District Attorneys office, Tom tried numerous cases to verdict and obtained valuable courtroom exposure.
In 1997, Tom left the District Attorneys office along with this colleague and current law partner, Brian J. Griffin. The firm was originally located in Mineola and moved to the current location in 2008. Since going into private practice, Tom has focused his practice on cases involving significant personal injury. The cases generally arise out of car accidents, premises accidents or work related accident.
Tom is a life-long resident of Long Island. He attended grammar school in Bethpage and the prestigious Chaminade High School in Mineola. After graduating from Chaminade, Tom spent the next four years in Massachusetts attending Boston College. Upon completion of his degree in Boston, Tom returned home to New York to pursue his law degree at St. John’s University Law School, located in Jamaica, Queens. At St. John’s, Tom developed an interest in trial law. As a third year law student, Tom competed in and won the Moot Court Trial Competition at St. John’s.
Immediately upon completion of his studies at St. John’s and taking the New York State Bar Examination. In 1994, Tom began working at the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office as an assistant district attorney. At the DA’s office, Tom met his wife, Karen, who at the time was also a prosecutor for Nassau County. Tom and his wife live with their two children on Long Island.
When you need a reliable legal advocate in your corner, call Foley Griffin, LLP at (888) 966-8480.
- New York, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- St John’s University, School of Law
- Boston College
- Chaminade High School
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association - Member
- Former Assistant District Attorneys Association - Member - Past President
- Nassau County Bar Association - Member
- Nassau County Criminal Courts Bar Association - Member
- Nassau County Bar Association’s Plaintiff’s Roundtable Committee - Member
- Nassau County Bar Association - Vice-Chair of Technology Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association Academy of Law - Assistant Dean of the Academy
- St. John’s University School of Law - Member of the Alumni Board of Directors
Past Employment & Academic Positions
- St. John’s University Business School, Adjunct Professor, 2015
- St. John’s School of Law, Adjunct Professor
Past Employment Positions
- Nassau County, Assistant District Attorney
- President of the St. Rose of CYO Lima program. Over three thousand children participate in this program
- Organizer and chief sponsor of the Massapequa Turkey Trot. All proceeds from this event are donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In 2015 we had over 1850 runners and were able to donate $25,000.00.